|A quick UI Mockup|
Click to view in fullsize
Basically there are two things I always wanted to do with the gradient tool:
- Shift a gradient so that it's end wraps to it's beginning (See illustration)
- Colorize a gradient using an external color - This can be used for all the glossy/metalic gradients; Simply create one grayscale gradient and apply the right color each time.
Alternatively, instead of colorizing a gradient, add an option to rotate it's Hue - this might be even more powerful since this will support even more user cases.
- The first suggestion can not be accomplished currently in any trivial way, except for creating a new shifted gradient (yuck!).
- The UI for the second suggestion needs some work - Where would we display the updated gradient? Directly on the usual preview area or in a separate view?
- The second suggestion doesn't bring any new capabilities - it can be currently done by using the gradient tool and then using some color tool. But, the one step approach is far more easier.